Welcome

Glad to have you here but remember, you could be spending your time more wisely. Family, friends, maybe even your job if you are really pushed for something to do. David also writes the Building Our Home Blog as well as the wildly popular Dave’s Mindscape

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

No Threat to Mankind

I was going to write about my lack of concern over the firing up of the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN, the world's largest particle physics laboratory but a press release by CERN issued on Sept 5, 08 sums it up quite well. From what I understand CERN is going to accelerate particles in a 27 kilometer loop of super-cooled magnets, smacking them together and “popping” into existence really heavy particles that we have never seen and probably never will. The heavy particle called Higgs bosun or God particle won’t stick around long enough to be photographed or sign autographs so how will we know that the LHC worked? By the evidence left behind. Kind of like the mess in the Family room. No one did it or saw it happen but it’s there all the same. Some groups are concerned that this particle smacking will cause the end of the world or worse, the universe. I’m with Steven Hawking and those who don’t think this will happen. “Professor Hawking is not convinced that the so-called “God particle”, which theory suggests gives matter its mass, actually exists, and in 2000 he backed his judgement by making a $100 (£50) wager with Professor Kane, who thinks it will soon be found.” Considering that all we have done on and to the planet hasn’t ended it yet, I’m not going to dig out my “The End Is Near” sign over spinning some miniscule bits around and whacking them together. But in case I’m wrong “So long, and Thanks for All the Fish”.

2 comments:

  1. Davey,
    I read this latest article twice. It's really good, and I love your ending sentence. I'd have to say, "Thanks for all of the Mars bars."

    I like it when you send me the direct link each time you write something.

    Also enjoyed the windmill article.

    Keep it up, for the benefit of the rest of us.

    Love,
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  2. Davey, I just lost my comments here somehow, but I will redo them. Loved your latest article, especially the fish comment.

    I appreciate you decoding this heavy duty stuff for me.

    Also enjoyed the windmill article. The absurdity of the premise that it could be costly.

    Keep up the good work.

    Please send me the link each time you write something. It's very helpful to me.

    Love,
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome.